Water management is going to be one of the key areas of concern in the coming years, being a limited resource. At Godrej Interio, we have been making ongoing efforts to improve the way we use and recycle municipal water provided to our facilities.
Water saving initiatives include the use of water cascading techniques for pretreatment process and use of recycled water in process as well as for flushing purpose. GI also tries to maintain water balance by recharging ground and rain water harvesting at the Vikhroli operations.
Each of GI’s plants is equipped with an effluent treatment plant, ensuring that none of its facilities directly discharges waste water into the environment. These plants provide GI with the opportunity to treat and reuse the waste water again in its processes. However, the majority of the ETP treated water is used for gardening purpose.
While the current progress in this direction is still slow, setting up of two new RO plants and water reuse and recharging initiatives should give GI a lot of benefits in the coming years.
Though GI has various sources of water for its different plants, it is currently focusing on reducing the usage of purchased water. For us at GI, reducing water consumption and reusing it is an ongoing endeavour to reduce our carbon footprint. We are constantly exploring concepts and technologies that will enable us to make a difference.
During our efforts of reducing water usage, we have had a few important learnings. To list, these are:
- Manufacturing facilities should decrease their need for water by increasing efficiency.
- Once efficiency has been optimized, facilities should maximize the use of water that is collected, used, purified and reused on-site.
TIPS FOR IMPROVED WATER MANAGEMENT
- Use water efficiently through high efficiency fixtures, elimination of leaks, and other actions
- Improve water quality. For example, storm water settling ponds, kitchen grease-traps, eliminate garbage disposals, and lead-bearing products in potable water
- Recover non-sewage and graywater for on-site use (such as toilet flushing and landscape irrigation, and more generally, consider the water quality requirements of each water use)
- Establish waste treatment and recycling centers
- Apply the best management practices for Water Conservation